Keep Kids Warm and Nutrition on Weekends
Many non-profits exist in Marshfield to help make sure people have foodand shelter. But some people are falling through the cracks. We are seeing alarming changes here in Marshfield. Our 2015 Vital Signs reports on the socioeconomic health of our community:
- The number of children who qualify for free or reduced lunches is increasing in Marshfield; currently there are over 1300 kids who need help.
- We know we have over 68 homeless children.
- Our median income has declined for the last five years, declining 17.5% as compared to the state of Wisconsin and 12.8% as compared to Wood County's median income..
- 1 out of every 5 children, right here in Marshfield, is living in poverty. 50% of all Food Share recipients are 24 years old or younger.
- 23% of our 8th, 10th, and 12th grade students reported that they did not have enough food to eat within the last 30 days.
Last year, in honor of our 20th Anniversary, we are undertook a new project. We wanted to insure that children have a warm winter coat, boots, mittens, snow pants and the things all students need to be successful. We gave out new or gently used coats, boots, snow pants, and mittens to about 400 children this year.
Thanks to you these children were warm last winter- the coldest winter on record! Because of how successful the program was and knowing that the need continues, we will supply children with warm coats again this year. We funded a pilot program in collaboration with United Way to provide nutrition on weekends (NOW) for students who didn’t have enough food to eat at home. The need has grown by leaps and bounds for this service.
Might you be willing to help?
All help is appreciated, and you may do any of the following to assist:
- Donate cash or checks. Make checks payable to Marshfield Area Community Foundation and write "Keep Kids Warm" on the memo line. Send to P.O. Box 456, Marshfield WI 54449.
- Donate new or gently used warm clothing.
- Donate online via PayPal by clicking the "Donate" button on the bottom of our website.
Full donation details can be reviewed on the Contribute page.